This class is designed to introduce the concepts of fitness, health and wellness with an inclusive approach accommodating all ages and fitness levels. Students work towards personal goals in developing strength, flexibility and endurance through the use of the WVC Student Recreation Center. Online components are used for assessment. May be repeated for credit.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Orientation including a tour of the facilities, instruction on how to use exercise equipment, signing in/out at the front desk and general course expectations.
- Health related components of physical fitness; cardiorespiratory, muscular strength, muscular endurance, flexibility and body composition.
- Proper weight training techniques, exercises and protocols as they relate to flexibility and muscular strength and/or endurance.
- Techniques and exercises for increasing or maximizing and tracing cardiovascular fitness.
- Functional training concepts and principles used to design a program specific to the development of the body’s core muscle groups.
- Safe use of machines and exercise equipment in the fitness center.
- Personal health and fitness goal setting, assessment and reflection.