Residency Requirements

Updated on: Monday, August 14, 2023

Residency Requirements for Tuition Paying Purposes

A resident student is one who is a U.S. citizen or meets specific requirements as a non-citizen and has met specific requirements demonstrating permanent residence in the State of Washington. Two elements are necessary to establish permanent residence. The first element requires physical presence on the location claimed as a permanent residence. The second element requires the intent to permanently reside in that location. These two elements can be established by a variety of factors and documentation, which should be dated one year and one day prior to the commencement of the quarter for which the student is applying for residency status.

Special regulations may apply to some eligible non-citizens, Washington higher education employees, and to military personnel and their dependents stationed in the State of Washington. For further information, contact the Office of Admissions and Registration at 509-682-6806.

The student is responsible to register under the proper classification. If there is any question regarding residency classification, the student (prior to or at the time of registration) must discuss it with the Residency Officer in the Office of Admissions and Registration. Verification must be provided.

All persons classified as residents of Washington State shall be reclassified as non-resident students whenever there is a change in legal residence to another state.

Students who have been erroneously classified as residents will be reclassified as non-residents and be required to pay the difference between the resident and non-resident tuition and fees for those quarters in which they were erroneously classified.

Students wishing to change their residency classification must complete a residency questionnaire found at the Office of Admissions and Registration in Wenatchi Hall (Wenatchee Campus) or the administration office (Omak Campus) and provide necessary documentation. Application for reclassification prior to registration into classes is preferred. Residency reclassification must take place within 30 calendar days of the first day of the quarter.

Students classified as non-residents will retain that status until the written application for reclassification has been approved. For more information call 509-682-6806.

Tuition for non-resident U.S. citizens is listed online at